February 11, 2010

Google Buzz

Yes, like all forward-thinking folk I have switched on Google Buzz, because what I need more than anything else in the world is to have yet one more social network to be on. That said, my reaction to it so far seems to be similar to the reaction of most of the people I've seen on it, which is "okay, now what?" Because to be blunt about it, if GBuzz is just replicating what I already have going on Facebook/Twitter, I'm not going to end up using it much, because I already have Facebook and Twitter accounts, and GBuzz porting itself into my GMail isn't enough to make it special or convenient. So we'll see how to shakes out.

I will say that I think Google may eventually have to accept that short of actually buying either Twitter or Facebook, they're not going to make a huge amount of headway into the social media sphere. Their other attempts in this direction don't seem to have amounted to anything, unless you're Brazilian, in which case Orkut rocks your socks. Good for you, Brazil; I celebrate your social media lifestyle choice. But otherwise, meh. Again, we'll have to see.

Anyway, if you want to follow me on GBuzz, after you sign in to the service, click the "find people" link and then type in my name, and it should be pretty easy from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment